Back pain is caused because of an overstretched ligament or muscle or compression on the spine. The pain may seem mild to begin with, but if you ignore it, it can become severe. There are a number of causes of back pain, from bad posture to injury while playing a sport. Lifting objects, which are too heavy, may also cause back pain. Stress is also one of the reasons behind back pain. There are many things you could do in order to relieve back pain. Here are a few tips:
- Ice and heat are an excellent remedy. Place a few ice cubes in a plastic bag or use an ice pack and place it on the area of pain. The cold ice will numb the tissue and reduce the inflammation. It will also relax the sore muscles. It is ideal to apply the ice pack for a minimum of twenty minutes at a stretch. You can do it a few times a day for the best results. After the pain goes down considerably, you can switch to a heat treatment. You can take a warm bath or you could apply a heating pad to the area. This will alleviate the pain and also give you relief from swelling because it will loosen the tight muscles.
- Yoga and other stretching exercises can also help you. Yoga will reduce the stress you feel on your back and thus relieve the pain. Yoga will also help you increase the strength of your back and prevent future back pain. You should take time out every day and practice yoga for a few minutes at least.
- Massages will also give you relief from back pain. You can go to the massage therapist and tell her of your problem. She will massage accordingly and loosen your muscles through the kneading process. You can also try massaging at home with the help of your partner or your friend. Massage also increases circulation in the injured area and this can help better and quicker recovery.
- Sleep well and rest properly. This simple practice can help ease the pain. Make sure the mattress and pillow you use are comfortable.
- Try using a back support system to relieve pain and take the pressure off your spine. There are inversion tables and lumbar support belts.